On a bank high above the White River at the site of Dubuque, a mid-nineteenth century town, stands Diamond City. Dubuque, until its demise after the Civil War, was the last stop on the White River for northbound steamboats.
When the river was dammed at Bull Shoals in 1952 to form Bull Shoals Lake, Lead Hill, which had become the area's main town, was moved from its site to the intersection of Arkansas Highways 7 and 14, and the high bank of the White was left alone.
For many years the fine fishing on the Diamond City peninsula was known only to the people of the immediate area. In the 1960s, Henry Dietz began to develop the site. The town founded there in 1953 had been called Sugar Loaf, and it became Diamond City in 1966. Surrounded by the lake on three sides and Lead Hill on the fourth, Diamond City is now an uncrowded town of 782 (2010 U.S. Census).
"The little city on the lake
in the heart of the Ozarks."